- 175g 70% dark chocolate chopped small
- 15g caster sugar
- 45 ml fresh orange juice
- 45 ml whiskey or rum
- 40g slightly soft unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, separated
- A small pinch of sea salt, plus a little extra for topping
- Grated orange zest for decoration
- Pinch of chilli flakes for decoration
Sit a heatproof bowl over a pan of just-simmering water.
Add chocolate, sugar, and orange juice, combine, and leave to melt slowly. When fully melted remove the bowl from the heat.
Stir in the butter and whiskey.
Slowly add egg yolks, stirring to prevent them cooking. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Beat one tbsp of the whites into the chocolate mix along with the pinch of salt.
Fold the rest of the whites lightly into the chocolate using a metal spoon.
To keep it light and fluffy don’t overmix; just fold gently.
Spoon or pour into your container of choice.
Chill for 1-2 hours then top with orange zest, chilli flakes, little more sea salt.